Fillers are injectable materials that can be used to add volume or shape to the face, smoothen/contour facial lines and scars. Check the basics on this page: https://artisanclinic.sg/fillers/. Fillers may be temporary or permanent, depending on their composition.
There are many different types of fillers available for use; each one is specially formulated for its particular application. Some common bulking agents include collagen-based products (e.g., Sculptra) and calcium hydroxylapatite (Radiesse).
Sculptra is made from synthetic human proteins, which stimulate the body’s natural collagen formation to gradually replace lost collagen at a rate similar to what naturally occurs in the skin during the aging process. Radiesse consists of tiny particles called microspheres which are made of calcium hydroxylapatite. These microspheres are injected into the skin, stimulating collagen production, leading to a gradual increase in volume.
Why would you need a Filler?
The most common reasons for people to seek treatment with fillers in Singapore are: to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and lines on their face. You may also want to get fillers if;
- You have lost volume in certain parts of your face (e.g., sunken cheeks or laugh lines) due to fractures, facial trauma, or aging. Fillers may also be injected into areas that are affected by skin conditions, including acne scars, chickenpox scars, and burn injuries.
- You have deep nasolabial folds (lines from the bottom of your nose to the corners of your mouth)
- You want to firm up sagging skin under the chin.
What to Expect from a Filler Treatment
The actual procedure for filler injections is relatively quick and simple. The area to be treated is cleansed, and then the filler is injected using a fine needle. Most people feel only a minimal amount of discomfort during the treatment.
Most fillers in Singapore last for around 6-12 months, after which time they will gradually be absorbed by the body. Side effects are usually mild and temporary and may include swelling, redness, or bruising at the site of the injection. More serious side effects are extremely rare but can include infection, skin necrosis (death of tissue), and granulomas (small lumps or nodules). It is important to discuss any possible risks and complications with your doctor before undergoing a filler treatment.
Importantly, you also should discuss with the doctor what happens during the treatment, how to prepare for the treatments if necessary, and post-treatment best practices. That said, if you fancy getting fillers, some of the things you can expect include:
- A little bit of prickling or stinging when the filler is injected. You may feel a small amount of discomfort, but you’ll be numbed up, so it shouldn’t hurt too much.
- Some redness and swelling in the treated area, which should wear off after around three days. As with any injection, there’s a risk that you could get an infection in the skin where it was done, and this might produce some pus or leave a dark mark behind. But if your doctor treats you properly and uses sterile injections, the risk of this is low. The main thing to avoid is picking at scabs! Keep your hands off until they’re fully healed up.
- Every treatment will go slightly differently depending on exactly what’s being done, but generally, you can expect to be in and out of the doctor’s office within an hour. If you’re having a lot of filler injected or you’re getting them for the first time, it might be a good idea to have someone come with you if you feel a bit dizzy after the procedure.
- There may be some minor bruising and swelling in the treated area, which should go down within a few days. You might also experience some lightheadedness or nausea after the treatment, but this will pass quickly. Again, if these symptoms persist, please contact your doctor.
- You’ll need to avoid strenuous exercise and sun exposure for a day or two after getting fillers – basically, just take it easy for a bit and let the area heal.
- Most people see an improvement in their appearance straight away, but the full effects of the treatment can take a few weeks to become visible. Don’t worry if you don’t see an immediate change – give it some time, and you should notice a difference.
Are there any Risks or Complications to be Aware of before Getting a Filler Treatment done
Fillers are safe and even FDA-approved. However, as is the case with any medical procedure, there are some risks and complications associated with filler injections. Some of the most common risks include swelling, redness, bruising, infection, and skin necrosis.
More serious side effects are rare but can include granulomas, abscesses, and anaphylactic shock (a potentially life-threatening reaction). It is important to discuss any possible risks and complications with your doctor before undergoing a filler treatment.
If you are considering having a filler treatment done, it is important to do your research and find a clinic that uses safe and approved products. Always consult with a qualified medical professional before undergoing any type of medical procedure.
Just to be certain that your plastic surgeon is qualified enough to offer the treatments they are advertising, check to ensure that they are Board Certified by associations like the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This is the only guarantee that your surgeon has been rigorously tested and meets the highest standards in plastic surgery.
Also, check how many years of plastic surgery experience your surgeon has. The more years of experience, the more likely it is that they will be able to safely and effectively treat you. And lastly, for the clinic where you will be getting the treatments in Singapore, the facility should be registered with the Healthcare Services Providers Board (HSPB) and certified with the Singapore Accreditation Council for Medical and Dental Clinics (SACMDC). This will ensure that you are getting treatments in a safe and sterile environment.
As with any medical procedure, it’s important to do your research and make sure that you’re aware of all the potential risks and complications before getting fillers in Singapore. Ideally if you’re unhappy with your appearance and want to reduce the signs of aging, fillers could be a good option for you. For more information about fillers in Singapore, contact us today to schedule an appointment. Call: + 65 9818 7887
The Artisan Clinic: PicoSure Laser
290 Orchard Rd, #07-01 The Paragon, Singapore 238859
+65 8879 7887