A lot of people get confused between natural and artificial hair transplants.People often feel that natural and synthetic hair transplants are the same, but they aren’t.The procedures for artificial and hair transplants are entirely different.In a natural hair transplant, your hair grafts get removed from one area of your scalp (donor)and implanted in another (recipient).In a synthetic hair transplant, artificial hair is planted one by one onto the bald patchesof your scalp.
“The artificial hair looks like our natural hair only.That’s why the cosmetic appearance is good with artificial hair.The synthetic hair is made only in Japan and Italy.The synthetic hair is made from artificial fibre and is biocompatible.It means that they are not harmful or toxic to the body and made from highly purified polyamide fibres.”
Dr Gajanan Jadhao stated that. He is one of the most successful Hair Transplant Surgeon in India; He is also an owner of one of the leading clinics of hair transplant in Pune, namely La Densitae Hair Transplant Centre.
However, it is not the only option so before undergoing any procedure ortaking any medication, somake sure to always consult with your doctor.Confirm if this is the correct procedure for you and understand the process well beforegetting it done.To prevent any complications during the surgery, choose a good clinic and surgeon. There are plenty of excellent and experienced hair transplant surgeons in large cities like Pune, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad in the country.
So now let’s understand what happens in this process:
There are two techniques for manufacturing artificial hair. The Italian process uses Bio fibre, and the Japanese method uses NIDO fibre. This synthetic hair is available in various colours and shades. They are available in varied lengths from 15cm-30cm.
- Like any medical procedure, there is some risk involved with an artificial hair transplant. Your body may even reject the synthetic hair. That’s why the patients first have to undergo a patch transplant to check if the synthetic hair suits them. The patch test is conducted a month before the actual procedure with 100 artificial hair. The patient remains under observation for this month, and their body’s reaction is noted. Some implant tests are also conducted. If the patient passes these tolerance tests, they can get an artificial hair transplant done. If there are any allergic reactions, the doctor suggests other treatments.
- First of all, the doctor gives you an anaesthesia.After this, they will implant single artificial hair strands one by one on your scalp usingan automatic hair implant device called an implanterpen.The implanter inserts the synthetic hair strand into the scalp.This process gets repeated until the proper hair density is achieved.
- After the implantation, the doctor will cleanse your scalp with disinfectant.After the surgery, the doctor will prescribe antibiotics for a week to prevent any infections.It is quite a simple procedure, and in each session, 500-1000 hair is transplanted.However, everyone cannot get this hair transplant done.
In some cases or conditions, artificial hair transplant is not an option.If you have sensitive skin, scalp issues, blood pressure, diabetes, autoimmune diseasesor any other long term illness, you cannot get thissurgery done.
Let’s discuss a few benefits of artificial or synthetic hair transplants.
- A synthetic hair transplant gives patients instant results, and you can have good hair density within a few hours of the surgery.
- It looks completely natural and can be washed and combed like natural hair.
- It is an ideal option for those who do not have a donor area or a limited donor area.
- It is a pretty cost-effective and time-saving procedure.
However, this procedure also has a few disadvantages.
- It is not a permanent solution to baldness and has only a temporary effect.You have to remember that synthetic hair is not a natural part of your body.Within a year of the procedure, up to 30% of your hair can breakor shed, and you may need to replace.
- To maintain the natural and aesthetically pleasing look, you may need to repeat theartificial hair transplant every year.Repeated implants may destroy the existing hair follicle and cause scarring.
- The body may consider the synthetic hair as a foreign body and reject it.In a natural hair transplant, our body recognizes the hair tissue, which prevents any rejectionor immune reaction.
- Another disadvantage of artificial hair transplant is that the hair length and density cannot increase; they will remain between 15-30 cms.
- Artificial hair transplants can have some side effects as well.Often sebum production increases in the roots of the synthetic hair and you need to getthis cleaned every 2 or 3 months.If this is not cleaned, it can increase the chances of infection andmay cause your hair to shed.
- Some patients may even experience migraine-like headaches and some allergic reactions.Artificial hair can stay for 2 to 3 years, but they require regular maintenance.You need specific shampoos and hair products to maintain and care for synthetic hair.With good post-operative care, you can avoid infection and prevent shedding.
Does this look like a natural hair transplant?
Immediately after the procedure, the synthetic hair has a very natural appearance.But, after a few months, they start looking dull because they are not part of our body.See, if you have no other option, then hair transplant is a good option.But you have to keep in mind that if you get this procedure done, you have to take excellent care of the synthetic hair.Remember that artificial hair transplant is not a permanent solution, but it is an optionto combat hair loss and baldness.